109-5-1. Continuing education. (a) "Continuing education" shall mean a formally organized learning experience that has education as its explicit principal intent and is oriented towards the enhancement of emergency medical service (EMS), practice, values, skills, and knowledge.
(b) Continuing education credit shall be awarded in quarter-hour increments and shall not be issued for more than one hour of credit for a 60-minute period.
(c) Acceptable continuing education programs shall include the following:
(1) Initial courses of instruction and prior-approved continuing education provided by a sponsoring organization;
(2) programs approved or accredited by the commission on accreditation for pre-hospital continuing education (CAPCE), which shall be presumptively accepted by the board unless the board determines that a particular program does not meet board requirements; and
(3) programs or courses approved by another state's EMS regulatory or accrediting body, which shall be presumptively accepted by the board unless the board determines that a particular program does not meet board requirements.
(d) Any program not addressed in subsection (c) may be submitted for approval by the EMS provider as specified in K.A.R. 109-5-5.
(e) The amount of continuing education credit obtained in one calendar day shall not exceed 12 clock-hours.
(f) Each EMS provider shall keep documentation of completion of approved continuing education for at least three years and shall provide this documentation to the board upon request by the executive director.
(g) Documentation of completion of approved continuing education shall verify the following for each continuing education course completed:
(1) The name of the provider of the continuing education course;
(2) the name of the individual being issued the continuing education credit;
(3) the title of the continuing education course;
(4) the date or dates on which the course was conducted;
(5) the location where the course was conducted;
(6) the amount of continuing education credit issued to the individual; and
(7) the course identification number. (Authorized by K.S.A. 2022 Supp. 65-6110 and K.S.A. 2022 Supp. 65-6111; implementing K.S.A. 2022 Supp. 65-6129; effective, T-88-122, May 18, 1987; amended, T-88-24, July 15, 1987; amended May 1, 1988; amended July 17, 1989; amended Feb. 3, 1992; amended Aug. 16, 1993; amended Dec. 19, 1994; amended Nov. 1, 1996; amended Nov. 12, 1999; amended, T-109-8-8-00, Aug. 8, 2000; amended Nov. 13, 2000; amended Aug. 30, 2002; amended Sept. 10, 2010; amended, T-109-2-7-11, Feb. 7, 2011; amended June 3, 2011; amended Jan. 4, 2016; amended Dec. 29, 2017; amended March 1, 2019; amended Dec. 31, 2021; amended Nov. 24, 2023.)