Government Website icon

The .gov means it's official.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Padlock icon

The site is secure.
The https:// or lock icon ensures you're safely connected to the website and any information you provide is encrypted.

General Services iconAthlete Agent Filing

An athlete agent is “an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student-athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract. The term includes an individual who represents to the public that the individual is an athlete agent. The term does not include a spouse, parent, sibling or grandparent of the student-athlete or an individual acting solely on behalf of a professional sports team or professional sports organization.” See K.S.A. 44-1517(b).

A student-athlete is “an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in or may be eligible in the future to engage in, any intercollegiate sport. If an individual is permanently ineligible to participate in a particular intercollegiate sport, the individual is not a student-athlete for purposes of that sport.” See K.S.A. 44-1517(l).

In order to act as an athlete agent in the state of Kansas, an individual must obtain a certificate of registration from the Kansas Secretary of State. See K.S.A. 44-1519.

To register as an athlete agent, complete the Athlete Agent Registration form AA (the pdf form is fillable), print it, sign it and mail it with the $515 filing fee to: Kansas Secretary of State, 120 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, KS 66612-1594. Online filing is not available for athlete agent registration.

If approved, the Secretary of State will send to the athlete agent the certificate of registration in the mail. The certificate of registration expires two years after the date of issue.

For more information or to report instances of misconduct by an athlete agent, please call 785-296-4564.