February 15, 2006
Wyandotte County, Kansas
Commissioner of Elections
The Election Commissioner, appointed by the Kansas Secretary of State, directs election activities in Wyandotte County, Kansas. The position sets policy and oversees the operation of the Wyandotte County Election Office in registering voters, conducting elections, evaluating and implementing new legislation, promoting and maintaining good public relations, and budgeting for all election activities including securing funding from the Board of Commissioners of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County / Kansas City, Kansas.
· Plan, organize, coordinate, and direct election activities including: voter registration activities, assignment of precinct boundaries, candidate filings, and election management
· Assist special districts in preparing for elections
· Supervise and coordinate the implementation of hardware/software and other technological improvements within the office
· Direct and evaluate personnel
· Oversee the preparation and administration of the annual budget and capital improvement program
· Review legislation pertaining to elections; interpret and implement legislative changes
· Formulate department policies and procedures
· Make presentations to the Board of County Commissioners, Secretary of State, other governmental entities, community organizations, and professional associations
· Receive, certify, and validate candidate petitions
· Serve as public relations officer—including doing television and radio interviews and serving as media contact for newspaper reporters
· Prepare and disseminate reports including state and federal statistical reports
· Research, analyze, and implement advancements in technology – hardware, software, and election equipment
· College degree from accredited 4 year university
· Advanced technology skills
· Exceptional leadership skills
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Qualified elector and resident of Wyandotte county at least two years prior to appointment (K.S.A. 19-3419)
· Knowledge of election administration
· Proficiency in managing projects
· Ability to serve as a visionary
· Accomplished team player with ability to build relationships
The starting salary for this position is $65,000/yr. (negotiable depending on qualifications, education, and experience).
1. Kansas Secretary of State Employment Application
Please visit our web page to apply online, or for a copy of an employment application for mail, fax, e-mail or hand delivery. From our home page, scroll down in our Quick Links box to Apply for a Job (http://www.kssos.org).
MS Word and .pdf documents may be submitted electronically as e-mail attachments. Documents in other formats should be mailed, faxed or hand delivered (see contact information below).
The deadline to submit application materials is 5:00 PM,
Thursday, March 2, 2006.
The Kansas Secretary of State and Wyandotte County are equal opportunity employers.
Kansas Secretary of State
First Floor, Memorial Hall
Attn: Mike Brassel
120 SW 10th Ave
Topeka, KS 66612-1594