| RON THORNBURGH
Secretary of State
STATE OF KANSAS
|Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594
For Immediate Release
Friday, September 5, 2003
Jesse Borjon, Communications Director
Office of the Secretary of State
ELECTRONIC VOTING AT STATE FAIR
Topeka, Kansas Kansas Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh today announced
the state fair opinion poll will be conducted on a new touch screen electronic
I am pleased to introduce this technology at the state fair, stated
Thornburgh. Traditionally votes at the fair have been cast on a paper
ballot, but with new federal election requirements, this will provide the first
opportunity for many Kansans to become more familiar with this method of voting.
The purpose of the opinion poll is to promote voting; gauge opinions
on important issues and some questions are designed to have fun, said
The 2003 State Fair Opinion questions are:
1. What do you think is the single best thing about being an American?
- Diverse culture
- Military and economic world leader
2. What impact would it have on you if you were required to show identification
each time you vote?
- I would feel my vote is more secure.
- I would be less likely to vote because of the inconvenience and intrusion.
- It would not affect me.
3. Which one of the following items should be included on the Kansas commemorative
4. What do you enjoy most at the State Fair?
- Midway attractions
- Vehicles / Machinery
Fair goers can also register to vote at the secretary of states booth,
as well as purchase a state flag and obtain informational materials on Kansas.
There will also be a drawing for a free state flag.